Friday, October 17, 2014

LOOKBOOK: KITCHEN NOOK

     It's me ! Hey friends, so sorry to have been away. Between my day job and plain old life, I got sidetracked from the thing that brings me such joy ... eating pomegranates ! I meant *cough cough* ... BLOGGING ! But I'm back! And I've got another lookbook post for you all. If you didn't catch my first lookbook on my wishlist items for our master bedroom, check it out here.

     I think we have a good sized kitchen in our modest townhome and apart from the actual area housing our cabinets, stove, etc there is a small nook. This is the current state of our kitchen nook.




     You're not judging, right ??????
 
     Yes, it is a den of clutter. All of those little things and papers that seem to have no home end up on our kitchen table. Or our kitchen island, but I will save you the "pearl clutching" by not showing you that picture. You're welcome.

     Back to the nook. Besides purchasing a proper coat closet rack and/or a shelving system to rid the area of all those coats, I'd like to revamp the space altogether. I'd like for it to be a nice, bright nook that can double as a bit of an office ... with some motivational pieces. I know, sounds like a lot of stuff in one spot. But hear me out.

     I'd like to replace the bar height table with a wooden table that sits at regular height. I would prefer a natural wood table that I could paint red or white.

 
                    I love the details on this table and it clearly fits into my red color category. 

 
I really like that this table looks a bit old and worn. I also adore the bench seating since the benches can be pushed under the table for more space in the room. Because one side of the table would be closest to the wall in the nook, I would line the bench with throw pillows.  My husband HATES this look but I'm hoping his taste in decor will change as he too becomes older ... and more worn ( kidding babe ! ) :-)
 
Next up, I'd like to feature a small "wall of motivation". They say the kitchen is the heart of the home so why not have that heart speak directly to you and each day. In case you're not following my idea, here are some visual aids.
 


This wall is definitely a bit more bare boned than what I'd like to go for but it's just an idea of the feel good kind of stuff that I want to greet me every morning.
 


This multi-colored wall is something I would lean more towards but with a little less uniformity. I'm more of an abstract kind of girl ;-).
 
And last but not least - THROW PILLOWS ! Throw pillows are like the bright spot on a dark day for me. They're relatively inexpensive, easily interchangeable and you can never have too many. New throw pillows are also one of the easiest ways to update a space and achieve an almost entirely new look. So here are my picks.
 

I love the idea of grays and blues or greens together. Our kitchen has a few seafoam green accents already so it would probably be best for me to stick with that color scape.
 
 
It's no secret that I ADORE a good chevron pattern ... on just about anything. So of course this popped up on my radar. My only reservation would be that I have a chevron patterned rug in the kitchen and I don't want an overkill situation going on.


This beauty is the perfect shade of seafoam green and matches a patterned rug that's in our living room - adjacent to the kitchen. I like the idea of pattern matching from room to room when not actually color matching.
 


 
     I like the Ikat print on the middle throw pillow in this set but it also works within the idea of color matching different prints.
 
     Hopefully this vision of mine will just appear in my house ... this afternoon. But in case it doesn't quite work out that way, I'll be sure to take you guys with me every step of the way.
 
xoxo,
 
tanesia nerese'
    

No comments:

Post a Comment